Amazon Future Press Release
The Amazon Future Press Release is a template that is used to describe the desired customer experience for a new product or service as if it has already been launched, but before it has started being developed.
It is based on the broader concept of the Amazon Working Backwards method, which is a process for developing new products and services that starts with the desired customer experience and works backwards to determine the necessary steps and requirements to achieve it.
The press release process is a forcing function that helps teams envision the end goal of a new product or service, define success in a customer-centric way, and consider the collaboration challenges that need to be overcome to achieve that success.
Press Release Template
The press release should include information about the benefits and features that the product or service will offer to customers, and should be written in a way that is clear, concise, and engaging.
Here are some elements that should be included in an Amazon Working Backwards press release:
- Headline: A short, attention-grabbing headline that summarizes the main message of the press release.
- Introduction: A brief introduction that provides context and sets the stage for the rest of the press release.
- Product or service overview: A description of the product or service, including its key features and benefits.
- Customer story: A narrative that describes how the product or service will fit into the customer’s life and solve their problems or meet their needs.
- Quotes: Quotes from relevant stakeholders or experts that add credibility and provide additional perspective on the product or service.
- Contact information: A list of contact details for the person or organization issuing the press release, including their name, phone number, and email address.
- Boilerplate: A brief description of the company or organization issuing the press release, including information about their products, services, and mission.
There are four key rules that should be followed when writing the press release:
- Start with the customer: The customer experience should be the driving force behind the press release, and the release should be written with the customer in mind. This means focusing on the benefits and features that the product or service will offer to customers, rather than just describing the technology or solution being used.
- Keep it concise: The press release should be as concise as possible, focusing on the key points and leaving out unnecessary details. This will make it easier for readers to understand and remember the main message of the release.
- Use clear, simple language: The press release should be written in clear, simple language that is easy to understand, even for readers who are not familiar with the product or service being described.
- Include a call to action: The press release should include a call to action that encourages readers to learn more about the product or service or to take some other desired action.
Example Press Release
The team from Boost in New Zealand have produced a great example of a Press Release for the best thing that is sliced bread.
You can download a copy as part of their Agile Project Kick-Off Kit. https://www.boost.co.nz/blog/2017/04/press-release-template
AgileData Press Release
We typically use the press release pattern to describe the core data platform features we are developing for our data team or our end user personas. Compared to the Information Product pattern which we use if we are going to deliver data or information to our consumers.
The press release pattern is a highly effective way to communicate the value of a planned new capability to internal stakeholders. By documenting press releases as part of our data platform feature roadmap, stakeholders can have visibility of what we are planning to develop in the future.
It also allows stakeholders to visualise and prioritise future features, using the same prioritisation patterns we use for prioritising Information Products.
The Press Release pattern also encourages discussions and collaboration within the Data Platform team. It provides a statement of what we plan to build, and who we are building it for. This provides clarity on the goal of the features when the data platform team start the collaborative planning process to deliver it.
By starting with the desired outcomes and working backwards to design the solution, it ensures that the final features are tailored to meet the needs of the targeted persona’s and delivers on the intended goals.
Using this approach also allows for a clear and concise messaging strategy, as the press release outlines the key features and benefits of the features in the context of how it will solve a specific problem or meet a specific need. This helps to build excitement and understanding among stakeholders, and encourages them to adopt and utilise the new features when they are delivered.
AgileData Press Release Template
AgileData Press Release Examples
We can use the press release pattern for different feature use cases.
Press release for a data platform
Here is an example of a Press Release for a new internal data platform we plan to deliver.
The Data Platform Team Unveils Revolutionary New Internal Data Platform
The Data Platform team is proud to announce the launch of our newest internal data platform. This innovative platform was designed with the Amazon working backwards approach in mind. We started with the customer (our employees) in mind and worked backwards to determine the key features and functionality that would be most valuable to you.
Product or Service Overview:
The internal data platform is a comprehensive solution that helps business units make data-driven decisions by providing easy access to high-quality, actionable data. With its user-friendly interface and powerful analytics tools, the data platform empowers users to quickly and accurately analyse and interpret their data, leading to better business outcomes and increased efficiency.
Some key features of the Internal Data Platform include:
- Single Sign-On: With the new platform, you’ll only need one login to access all of your data, eliminating the need to remember multiple usernames and passwords.
- Centralised Data Hub: All of your data is stored in one place, making it easy to find and access what you need, when you need it.
- Advanced Analytics Tools: From custom dashboards and pivot tables to predictive modeling and machine learning, the new platform has everything you need to turn raw data into actionable insights.
- Collaboration Features: The platform includes built-in tools for sharing and collaborating with your team, allowing you to work together more effectively and efficiently.
As a member of the marketing team, I rely on data to make informed decisions about how to reach and engage with our customers. In the past, accessing and analysing data has been a time-consuming and manual process, often involving multiple systems and sources. With the new internal data platform, I can quickly and easily access the data I need from a single, centralised location. Plus, the data platform’s intuitive interface and powerful analytics tools make it easy for me to slice and dice the data in meaningful ways, uncovering insights that drive better marketing strategies
“We are thrilled to bring the data platform to market,” said Sam, Data Platform Product Owner, “Our team has worked tirelessly to develop a platform that meets the needs of our users and helps them make better data-driven decisions. We believe that data platform has the potential to revolutionise the way our business uses data to drive success.”
The Data Platform is available now for internal teams of all sizes. To learn more about the platform and how it can benefit your team, contact Sam at [email] or [phone number].
The Data Platform team are committed to helping your team solve their data problems and meet their needs. Our new data platform is just one example of how we are using innovation and technology to make life easier for teams to access and leverage data. We are excited to see how this platform will help our users and are always looking for ways to improve and evolve our products and services.
Press release for a core platform feature
We can also use the press release pattern to describe distinct features that are planned to be developed by the data platform teams.
Here is an example of a Press Release for a documentation as code feature:
“New Documentation as Code Feature Makes Collaboration and Maintenance a Breeze for Data Teams”
Today, The Data Platform team is excited to announce the launch of our new Documentation as Code feature, a revolutionary tool that makes it easy for data teams to collaborate on and maintain their documentation. With Documentation as Code, teams can use the same version control and collaboration tools they use for their transformation code to manage their documentation, making it easier than ever to keep their documentation up to date and accurate.
Product or Service Overview:
Documentation as Code is a simple, yet powerful tool that allows data teams to store and manage their documentation in the same way they do their code. With this feature, teams can use GitHub to track changes to their documentation and collaborate with their teammates in real-time. This makes it easy to ensure that documentation is always up to date and accurate, and eliminates the need for manual processes like emailing drafts back and forth or using complicated document management systems.
As a data engineer at our company, I used to dread updating our documentation. It was a time-consuming and error-prone process that involved emailing drafts back and forth, trying to keep track of multiple versions, and trying to coordinate with multiple people. With Documentation as Code, all of that has changed. Now, I can simply make changes to our documentation in the same way I do with our code, using GitHub. It’s made it much easier to collaborate with my teammates and keep our documentation accurate and up to date.
“Documentation as Code has been a game-changer for our team. It’s made it so much easier to collaborate on and maintain our documentation, and has freed up time that we can now spend on more important tasks. We’re thrilled to have this tool at our disposal.” – Sarah, Scrum Coach
“As a developer, I love the fact that I can use the same tools I use for my code to manage my documentation. It’s made the whole process so much more efficient and streamlined. Documentation as Code is a fantastic addition to our toolkit.” – Mike, Data Engineer
For more information about Documentation as Code, please contact Sam, Data Platform Product Owner at [email] or [phone number].
The Data Platform team are committed to helping your data team solve their problems and meet their needs. Our new Documentation as Code feature is just one example of how we are using innovation and technology to make life easier for data teams. We are excited to see how this tool will help our data engineers and are always looking for ways to improve and evolve our products and services.